Track Expenses Online and Create an Easy to Use Report with Expensify
I travel all the time. Once again, I am sure to make Marriott Platinum this year. So how do I keep up with all of the receipts and expense reports?
This is a little off topic from most of my blog posts, but an amazing number of sales people that come through my training and coaching programs are held back by one of two problems. The most pressing problem is getting the attention of new prospects. That’s a topic I write often about. The other is time. Having enough time to sell when there are so many emails, reports, meetings, etc. is a challenge.
Save Time On Expenses
Expensify! www.expensify.com is a great little tool. Just about all of my expenses are reimburseable. But of course my clients need receipts in order to reimburse me. Here’s how it works…
- First, go to Expensify online and set up your account.
- Once set, download the App. This allows you to do just about everything from your phone.
- Either on your phone or online, you can then create a new report. Give it a name such as one of your clients or an upcoming trip. Whenever I set up a speaking or training event, I create a new report for that event.
- Then, as I purchase airline tickets, rent cars, or set a meal per diem, I can either forward the receipt (to an email they provide,) such as a hotel bill, or create a manual expense, such as the per diem. If there’s a hard copy receipt you can just snap a photo right from the app and it will scan it for the relevant information. Be sure to go back and make sure the software read the amounts correctly, and make any changes. I find this is often necessary, but it’s quick and easy to do.
- You can email the report with attached receipts from there. But I am usually invoicing my client for expenses, so I download the PDF version and attach it to a Quickbooks email invoice. Done! And Now I have a record of everything in one place in case they client needs me to resend it.
© 2015, David Stelzl