Half the year is already gone – at least if you’re watching the calender year. It’s around this time each year that I take some time to review my year personally. I review my plan, by goals, my vision and mission, and I look to see if I am on track with the things I really wanted to accomplish this year. I don’t buy into complex business plans that no one reads – I know you need them for investors…but as a sales person, division manager, small business owner, and just personally, you should be tracking on some basic goals, and aiming at something through the year.
Take a moment this week and ask yourself some questions:
- Do I have a passion for what I am doing? I am working on something I really care about or am I wasting a year of my life? If you’re not focused on something you really care about, I recommend getting a migration plan in place…life is too short to waste it.
- Am I on track with developing my business, or am I just busy? Remember to work on your business through the year – rather than just working hard in your business. If you are not improving you business, you are not building for the future. At some point your business will dry up unless you continue to innovate.
- Do I have a personal development plan in place and am I on track with it. Closely following point 2, you should be working on some personal development things along the way. Are you reading, working with a coach, scheduled for training…or are you riding on your raw talent? People are either improving or digressing. Which are you doing? You don’t grow without working on it.
- Is your life balance in balance? Are you all work and no family? Are you all work and no personal time? Or are you not really working this year? All of these end badly. Take a look at your time allocation and make sure you are giving balanced time and attention to clients and your business, spouse and kids, personal growth, spiritual life, and whatever else is part of your life balance.
- Are you managing your finances? Do you know where your business is financially – are you over spending, betting on the future, taking unnecessary risks…are you taking on debt in an unstable economy? Make sure your cash flow is in order, your debt is on the decline, and your budget is balanced.
A few things I am doing this week:
- Updating my goals for 2012 – adjusting, course correcting, and updating the status.
- Checking my business against my vision – am I on the right path for where I want to be in 2013?
- Reviewing my strengths and 2012 victories – invest more in your strengths, get rid of those things that are dragging you down. This is a good time to cut people who work for you, if they are not living up to your expectations.
- Reviewing frustrations and putting some get well ideas in place.
A Couple of Important Projects I am Working On:
- Finishing up an eBook on effective event marketing – should be out soon along with a free Webinar on success!
- Putting in place my mentor private forum and building some tools and content to fill it out. This will be available from my home page: http://www.stelzl.us
- Adding more audio programs for professional development – on my webstore…
© 2012, David Stelzl