Remember the sound bites….bits of information that come from credible sources like the Wall Street Journal or other mainline news sources. I prefer ones that IT does not frequent – it widens the gap between what you know and their ability to hijack an executive level meeting. A few pointers on sound bites:
- I mostly post these on twitter now – make sure you are following http://twitter.com/dstelzl
- You don’t need hundreds, you need a few hardcore, recent, security sound bites
- They must be on the tip of your tongue – memorize them and practice them
- Use them to grab your audience – make sure they are attention grabbing
- Sales are emotional, sound bites are not. Use the sound bites early on, then move to emotional sales stories.
- Save them for management – not the technical people. They don’t really care.
- If you spend 15 minutes on this each morning, it will pay back a hundred fold!
Looking back at the information security sales training programs I’ve run, this has been one of the highlights for those who have attended!
© David Stelzl, 2010