While working with the Kaspersky Marketing today in Boston I came across this list of sound bites. You can read the entire article in USA Today …. this may help move some of the business owners you are working with to a realization that their small companies actually are targets – it’s not just the big banks who are at risk. These may also work for those of you who are calling on regional banks – notice the impact on business (last bullet)…apparently the banks are not as secure as they lead us to believe. (these come straight from the USA Today article posted in today’s paper)
- 55% of businesses reported experiencing fraud in the last 12 months, with 58% enabled by online banking activities.
- 80% of banks failed to catch fraud before funds were transferred out of their institution.
- In 87% of fraud attacks, the bank was unable to fully recover assets.
- 57% of the respondents that experienced a fraud attack were not fully compensated by their banks.
- 26% were not compensated for any part of their losses.
- 40% of defrauded businesses moved their banking activities elsewhere.
Note: when the paper says SMB – it is often referring to what many resellers consider mid-size, on down to the very small S-Corp type company.
© David Stelzl 2010