It helps to have sound bites from a source that’s credible. Regardless of your political views, it always helps to have the president’s quote on what is happening. Here are sound highlights from his recent speech on cybersecurity.
- In one brazen act last year, thieves used stolen credit card information to steal millions of dollars from 130 ATM machines in 49 cities around the world — and they did it in just 30 minutes
- A single employee of an American company was convicted of stealing intellectual property reportedly worth $400 million.
- It’s been estimated that last year alone cyber criminals stole intellectual property from businesses worldwide worth up to $1 trillion
- we know that cyber intruders have probed our electrical grid and that in other countries cyber attacks have plunged entire cities into darkness.
- Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups have spoken of their desire to unleash a cyber attack on our country — attacks that are harder to detect and harder to defend against.
- In one of the most serious cyber incidents to date against our military networks, several thousand computers were infected last year by malicious software – malware
- cyber threat is one of the most serious economic and national security challenges we face as a nation.
- It’s also clear that we’re not as prepared as we should be, as a government or as a country.