Here are just a few notes, personal observations, regrets, and improvement points from participants that attended the Making Money with Security level one workshop in Boston this week:
- A great sound bite on 40,000 websites infected this week with malware that spreads to PCs with key loggers, changing its form to avoid detection – http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/02/beladen_mass_website_infection/. This just sent in by one of my clients in the mid-Atlantic region. Stay tuned for more current sound bites.
- Leading with product makes price my primary differentiator – not good.
- Security is a discipline – not a product. I’m going to make this part of every sale.
- I need to work on my value proposition before meeting with executives – we only have one shot and it has to be perfect.
- The most important point – how to keep an executive engaged long term – not get delegated down to IT.
- I need to learn how to sell to people who are not in IT.
- I wish I could get our entire sales team to understand these concepts!